Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Because Even I Am Tired of Not Seeing a New Post Up Here

We really have been doing things around here, I promise. The VIP got a new job, which he started yesterday. Unfortunately it's 35 miles away in the opposite direction where he used to work. So far I haven't gotten up the nerve to learn the drive so I don't have the car.

DD has been feverishly working on getting her homework caught up so that she can go on the school band trip to NYC this Friday. I have been so frustrated with the non-communication I've been getting from her teachers that I finally went in and spoke with the vice-principal. And I think all that did was make me feel better by unloading, I don't think it actually accomplished a single thing.

I've met Colleen, and we have started a weekly KnitNight at her place. The VIP goes to his second job on Thursday nights about 30 minutes from Colleen's, so I tag along, leave him there, and we girls go play yarn. We have been joined by a few others, but most often by Miss Laura, who is a lot of fun. We eat and drink and laugh and knit and sew. As soon as summer is here for real and our complex pool is open, Colleen will come to our place for a day poolside. She is selling my recycled-wool handbags on her Etsy site, so go have a look.

This past weekend we went to Haddonfield NJ, which is a cute town. There is an English shop there, and the VIP likes to buy food and candy and ginger beer. Around the corner is a fun eclectic shop that sells, among other things, Birkenstock shoes. They were having a Spring Trunk Show with a sale of $20 off per pair of shoes. I chose a pair of pink Tahitis, and have been getting them broken in. I still haven't given up hope of finding my bag with my pink Madrids in it, but I needed a new pair anyway. The DD and I wandered some more and found a cute shop called Pure Couture, which specializes in upscale consignment. The owner loved my wool handbag and asked where I got it. When I said that I make them, she got very excited and wants me to put some in her shop! So needless to say, I have been sewing the past two days!

Actually, I've been sewing quite a lot lately. I've been teaching Colleen how to sew, and we started with pillowcases. So I made a couple of sets for me as well. I've been mending slacks and shirts for the missionaries because they have enough to do without worrying about that too. **If anyone who reads this has any gently-used black men's dress shoes in size 14, please contact me. There's a missionary here who wears size 14.** I organized all my thread and other sewing supplies, and I've actually emptied some more boxes that have been stacked in DD's room. She is unimpressed with my slowness, but at least there is some progress.

Okay, back to sewing.

1 comment:

RC said...

yeah sewing!!! I redid the first pillow case and its much better. so all fired up I did the 2nd. not too bad.
I'm wondering if I should start the other fabric I bought? or just start shopping for more cute fabrics for the apron tops. hhmmm?