Monday, January 08, 2007

Another Meme

But not the whole thing. There's a new-ish meme going around the knitting blogs (maybe other blogs too, but I usually only read knitting or crafting blogs) and it's called "6 Weird Things About Me". Well, I sure-as-heck am not going to tell you the *really* weird things, and I'm not going to tell you all six of them at once. I think I have three people who read this thing anyway so who is going to know the difference?
Weird Thing #1
I have a decent-sized collection (okay about 12) of beautiful batiked sarongs from Indonesia. I bought my first one when I lived in Hawaii, and whenever I see them for sale in a town I am visiting, I buy one. They are all folded up nicely on a shelf in my closet, except the one currently in use. That one is in my bed. I sleep with it. It's an extra layer on my legs when they are cold, or it is all balled up and shaped like a little hill to block out the light that my electric-blanket controller throws out, or I wrap it around my head to keep it warm when I'm trying to go to sleep. And I wrap it around me when I get out of bed in the morning. Oftentimes I will stash one in my handbag when going out on a date in the late spring or the early fall. In a pinch I can tie the corners together and have a light jacket that is quite dressy. When taking a road trip in the summer, I lay it across my lap to have a layer of fabric so that sweaty skin isn't sticking to itself. It's a great cover-up for water activities, and if I'm having a *really* bad hair day, I can go around looking like Erykah Badu. Except it looks way better on her than it ever will on me.
Weird Thing #2
I'm obsessive about being able to breathe, and consequently there are tissue boxes stashed all throughout my house, car, workstation, parents' house, pockets, handbags, etc. Whenever I visit a more humid climate, I don't have quite the same problem. Maybe I should move to the east or the south.
Weird Thing #3
I am always cold. It is very rare for me to be comfortable, or too warm. I have always kept my house thermostat at 80* in the winter, and I still walk around in wool sweaters, wool snocks, and even felted wool slippers. I have also been known to wear a knit or fleece hat indoors. When I went to college in Hawaii, I thought I would finally be warm. But I was there a month and I called my mother and asked her to send me my electric blanket. She did, and I used it for the next 3 1/2 years until I graduated. On my bed winter and summer is the electric blanket, 2 patchwork fleece blankets, and a comforter. And right now on top of the comforter is a patchwork wool blanket. But if you thought that I wore several layers of clothing to sleep in, you'd be wrong. Tank-top and matching panties is it. Sometimes socks. I hate to be constricted when I am sleeping.

Okay that's enough. I need awhile to think of three more weird things. Back to hella overtime tomorrow. I just hope I don't get too many stupid people. "Yes sir, you do need to have the receiver plugged in and turned on to watch DirecTV." Sometime I'll tell you my very favourite stupid customer story. Have a great week!

No comments: