Monday, May 07, 2007

Aunt Sylvia

These aren't wonderful photos, as my uncle took them, but it's what I can find on short notice. My mom called me at 10:30 pm tonight. Not a good sign when that happens. I had missed the call, but I rang her back immediately. I knew it wasn't going to be good, and it wasn't. My aunt and uncle are world travellers, and my aunt has died suddenly while on a cruise. My dad got a one-line email from my uncle today, with very little information. My dad will be flying out to Oregon this week to be with my uncle. Sylvia was his third wife. He had nursed his first two wives through lingering illnesses, and she had also lost her husband. I've been trying to think, and I believe they got married a bit less than ten years ago. She was a retired surgical nurse, and she always had to be home in the month of October so she could volunteer giving flu shots. But the rest of the time they were out travelling the country in their motorhome, on cruises, or sightseeing the rest of the world. I've received a few postcards from different places, most notably China and Tahiti. Sylvia was so good for my uncle, he has been so happy with her. I've been grateful that they found each other. My uncle told my dad once that he wanted to be sealed to Sylvia. Interesting comment, since my uncle isn't LDS! But as my folks are Family History Missionaries, you can count on the fact that it will be taken care of.

I'll ETA when I know more details. I'll miss you Sylvia. I'm glad you were part of our family.

~~ETA~~ May 9
My father spoke with Sylvia's daughter last night. Sylvia had started the cruise with pneumonia, which progressed. She also had a blood clot. She was put in the ship's hospital, into ICU. The doctors suggested life support, my uncle declined that. She died soon after that. My dad is flying to Oregon tomorrow, and staying with Sylvia's daughter while he helps out my uncle. All other family plans have been put on standby.

No comments: